Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thursday

This week I met with another radiologist to discuss treatment options. He did present us with an alternative to traditional external radiation (like I've had before), Brachytherapy (Internal Radiation Therapy). It would require me spending at least 5 days in isolation in a NY hospital with "rods" inserted from under my chin into my tongue and looped back down to my chin. Radiation would be "implanted" directly into my tongue. The plus is that it limits the amount of radiation to external structures (salivary glands, thyroid etc.) that could be negatively affected by the radiation. As you can imagine, neither option sits well with me.

I also met with the natural medicine clinic and was presented with another alternative, a combination of diet changes and supplements. It would be based on the Gerson Therapy. It would be a pretty dramatic diet commitment, but since I'm not in a terminal situation I should be able to incorporate the program in moderation. I just have to figure out what that moderation is. I'm strongly leaning in this direction, but still have more thinking and reading to do. I'm also going to add Reiki, acupuncture, meditation, and the teachings of Abraham/The Secret to the nutritional changes. It's all so overwhelming! So much to take in and consider.

On a completely different note, we found out Nathan got into the MAP (Multi Age Program) for 1st and 2nd grade. He'll be in this class for the next two years and we are so excited. We applied at the end of last year for the lottery and just got word this week. We have already found out that 4 of his closest friends will be in the class too. He should have no problem adjusting this year. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about this class and am looking forward to him being a part of it.

Off to get ready for my Reiki session. Think happy healing and decision making for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope,
Sounds like a great plan. I have heard of a lot of success with the Gerson Theory!
Maybe adding some yoga, too will help keep your body balanced, and stress to a minimum.
Ethan was in a mulit-age for 2nd grade and really did well. Nathan will thrive there!
We love you!!
rach, brad, liv and ethan

Esther said...

Congrats on Nathan getting into that school! I'm sure he'll do great.

We're so sorry to hear you're going through all of this. Please let us know if there is anything we can do...or if you ever want to come over just to get away from it all and do some fun things. We can't wait to see everyone next weekend.

By the way, did you see the picture Sarah posted on her blog of you striking that sexy pose sitting by the pool?!?!??! You go girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Hope, We have been eating vegetarian (almost vegan but a few things we didn't want to cut out) for several months now. I've even been considering getting a juicer. It's been a real change for us but we feel terrific and Spiros' cholesterol has gone way down as a result. I have lots of healthy recipes I can share. Also, if you are interested in studying the Bible at any point, I would love to do a one-on-one study with you each week. I have been wanting to spend more time in my Bible, so now that the kids are back to school I plan on doing just that!
Love,
Jennifer