Wednesday, August 15, 2007

School!

This morning we headed over to Nate's school to do last minute registration stuff and get his teacher assignment. I was thrilled to find out he has Ms. C, a very enthusiastic, attractive teacher I met during the Spring Kindergarten Orientation. It turns out that all Nate's little buddies are in different classes. There a five Kindergarten classes and each of his friends are in a different one. Strange how that worked out. I think it's for the best. Nate can be very shy and this will give him an opportunity to meet lots of other kids without the security blanket of having a good friend with him.

Reese starts pre-school next Monday, but Nate doesn't start until Thursday. This gives Nate and I Monday and Wednesday to hang out just the two of us........such a rare thing. Monday after dropping Reese off at school we'll head over to Nate's school for a meeting with his teacher and then off for school clothes shopping. I'm so glad he loves to shop, because I LOVE school clothes shopping. I'm hoping Reese settles into to school without too much fan fare. He's never been one to cling or cry when I leave so I think he'll be just fine. I'm not feeling particularly sad about him starting school so if he doesn't cry then I don't think I'll cry. When Nate started pre-school I couldn't get out of his classroom fast enough before the tears came down. I think it was a combination of him being my first, the fact that he wasn't even talking much at that point and I was very pregnant=emotional.


Nate has the advantage of starting Kindergarten at the same school he attended Pre-K last year so I think that will save both of us from the Kindergarten boo-hoo's. At least that is what I'm hoping. I was surprised last year when I found myself getting upset he was finishing pre-school...so we'll see.

Here comes my guilt....I can taste freedom for the first time in 6 years. I feel a lot guilty about this as I have LOVED staying home and wouldn't want it any other way. However, I have found myself envious of working moms putting themselves together each morning to spend a chunk of their day having adult conversations and experiences. Then, they get to come home to kids who are so excited to see them they practically burst with excitement. I've come to this conclusion simply because when Jake comes home from work the kids go nuts! "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy"!!!!! While I'm status quo and not so exciting. Yes, I know hanging out in your PJ's, eating chocolate chip muffins mid afternoon and playing competitive UNO can make for a pretty good day too. I don't mean to sound ungrateful...I just crave a balance of the two.

I'll be volunteering at Nate's school, which I think will be great fun. I'm going to wait until he gets settled before I get too involved. I think he needs his space to make new friends (without my help) and get used to his new routine. I look forward to meeting all of his friends and making some of my own.

No comments: