Monday, September 24, 2007

1st Day on the Job

Today was my first day volunteering at Nathan's school. Honestly, I felt like it was my first day at a new job. I searched the closet for some "work" clothes and thankfully found something presentable to wear. I volunteered in the Media Center first. Was it always called that? Wasn't it just the "Library?" Anyway, I learned how to check in/out books then spent the next half hour shelving books...not my favorite. I'll have to remember to stay behind the desk next time.

After the Library, I headed down to Nate's class. They were all in the art room so Ms. C got me started on a project in the "apple room" or something like that where other moms were already busy working on things. I met a woman who has a 6th grader and a Kindergartner and she was so gracious to help me figure out all of the equipment. By 10:30 I was back in the classroom so I could "supervise" the kiddos during "centers" while Ms. C had small reading groups with 1-4 children at a time. I have no idea how she has managed this in the past! For the most part the kids played nicely and eventually started coming to me when they needed something.

I did meet Christopher R****and outside of his 10 minute burping presentation at lunch seemed okay.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That must be cool to be able to see what he's up to and the environment he's in. Also,kudos to you for being a volunteer!