Friday, April 6, 2007

Autism Scare

I watched a piece on Autism last night. This time 3 years ago we were having Nate tested. Freaked me out. I didn't know much about Autism when we had him tested at 2 1/2. I simply thought he was a late talker. At his first evaluation they threw the term PDD or Pervasive Developmental Disorder at me. At the time I didn't know that included autism. We followed-up with a psychological evaluation and they tested him for autism. To my relief he was fine and we were told he just had a mild language and social delay. He started speech therapy right away and within weeks was talking and after the first year of pre-school his social delay had vanished. I haven't thought about autism since or what that diagnosis would have meant for us........that was until last night. I am so thankful that was not our fate.

I have to comment on Elizabeth Edwards and her and her husbands choice to continue the presidential campaign despite her metastasized cancer. WAY TO GO! The strength and courage it takes to continue living with passion and happiness when you face cancer is nothing less that inspiring.

No comments: